CoStar Group Managing News Editor in Washington, District Of Columbia
Managing News Editor
CoStar has served as a respected source of news for the fast-paced commercial real estate industry for more than two decades. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group top 100 fastest growing companies in the world. As a key member of CoStar’s news team, you will take a leadership role in determining and shaping CoStar’s news coverage, overseeing the day-to-day activities of the news team and supporting the News Director. Drawing on your extensive journalism background and news management experience, you will administer the day-to-day operations of CoStar’s news coverage com to our large audience of real estate deal-makers throughout the U.S.
Part editor, part planner, part news-coach, you will juggle multiple duties to ensure CoStar readers benefit from the highest quality news on the commercial real estate market. In this role, you will suggest story ideas and angles, assign articles, keep news production on schedule and answer questions from reporters. The managing editor also plays a key role in determining the importance of articles and what news goes on the front page.
As managing editor, you may also be called on to edit, revise or update news articles and monitor news emails and social media posts related to news articles.
CoStar is expanding our news platform with the addition of several news editor positions and additional resources to take our news service to the next level. This is a great opportunity for experienced and highly-organized copy editors to support CoStar’s expanding news team based in our Washington, DC headquarters. Previous copy-editing newsroom experience for a daily or weekly business publication is a definite advantage.
- Play a key leadership role in the news room by generating story ideas, planning, assigning and editing news content, ensuring stories are accompanied by appropriate art, overseeing news publishing schedules and editorial calendars; and supervising editorial staff and freelancers.
- Plan and manage daily news operations and set production schedules. Work closely with reporters to respond to any issues that arise and ensure news deadlines are met.
- Coach and supervise news reporters in best practices for news gathering and reporting.
- Collaborate with News Director to determine and prioritize news content and topics.
- The position at times requires working under intense deadline pressure without compromising standards.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A proven manager capable of taking on a leadership role for a news team of highly experienced real estate reporters.
- Strong journalism background with proven writing and news editing skills, exceptional organizational skills and experience managing news reporters.
- Ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and copy editing a variety of news styles and formats, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders and longer, analytic pieces.
- Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
- B2B media experience preferred.
- Excellent headline and photo caption-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in journalism strongly preferred and several years of relevant news room experience.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time