EMC Publishing LLC Spanish Editor - St. Paul, MN in St. Paul, Minnesota
The Spanish Editor is responsible for all phases of formulating and producing a successful, high-quality, profitable series of language basal textbooks and ancillary materials for the middle and high school market. Coordinates printed, multimedia and digital projects from concept to finished product, content editing, research and development, copyediting and proofreading, selecting art and photos, tracking permissions, testing software, proofing audio recordings and video, and reviewing printer proofs. Communicates and works closely with the Marketing department to assist in the creation of marketing messages and strategies, and helps proofread advertisements, brochures and catalogs for World Language materials. Also communicates with freelancers, consultants, developers, service providers, overseas partners and customers, as needed.
This position will be located in our St. Paul, MN office. Relocation will not be provided.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Takes a lead role in coordinating designated World Language printed, multimedia and digital projects from start to finish, including, author(s) selection, setting up schedules, overseeing product development, design, layout, permissions, and working with freelance writers, copyeditors, overseas partners, consultants, and proofreaders.
- Ensures all deadlines are met and keeps the master schedule up-to-date as well as give bi-weekly reports of progress at the editorial status meeting.
- Establishes project goals and objectives by working with the Digital team and Marketing to conduct focus groups and questionnaires for educators about the essential and desirable characteristics for a new basal language program. Assists in the creation of marketing messages, strategies, and helps proofread advertisements, brochures and catalogs for World Language materials.
- Collaborates with authors, writers, or developers to develop scope and sequences of the program’s functions, vocabulary, structure, and cultural information. Uses computerized composition and text management systems, and edits and prepares final copy for publication manuscripts.
- Provides direction to authors on revisions of manuscript (e.g., supply rewritten samples as models to follow, or provide detailed instructions on factors to be incorporated in subsequent drafts).
- Reviews, copyedits, and proofreads textbooks, multimedia, digital, and ancillary materials at appropriate stages during the development and production process, or oversee vendors providing these services.
- Performs a day-to-day audit and surveillance of preparation practices and workflow to ensure that established quality standards are maintained, including changes to procedures and standards as necessary. Maintains the publications corrections library, indices, and retrieval and control systems.
- Ensures that problems or abnormal trends that could jeopardize quality, disrupt workflow, or impact cost and schedule objectives are reported to the editorial director for corrective action.
- Undertakes research and writing projects as product development dictates.
- Serves as point of contact for developers, partners, freelance writers, production editors, contractors, and proofreaders by preparing contracts, answering questions, sending and receiving documents, and approving invoices.
- Prepares and sends materials for consultant review. Compiles reviews by outside sources by reconciling comments and improving manuscript text when necessary.
- Coordinates turnover of manuscript and layout pages to DLP, including the compilation of marked text selections, artwork and styled manuscript.
- Coordinates turnover of materials needed for the creation of multimedia and digital products to the Digital Products Department.
- Provides backup support in communication among printers, developers and vendors related to product line, as needed.
- Maintains familiarity with the philosophy of the program and sales strategies used to sell the program and communicates knowledge to sales reps and customers. Maintains professional expertise in language instruction by talking with teachers and salespeople and attending professional conferences as applicable. Conducts workshops and presentations in language conferences. Delivers backup sales presentations or in-services in circumstances when Language Learning Specialists are unavailable. Maintains familiarity with trends in language education. Is familiar with and does research on competitive textbooks to determine textual and pedagogical features.
- Edits other non-basal language materials in EMC’s World Language offerings
- Assists and supervises the work of other staff members in tasks related to EMC World Language product line.
- Performs other tasks and responsibilities as assigned and works closely with the Sr. Editor.
Required Education and Experience
- B.A./B.S. or higher in Spanish
- Proven fluency in the Spanish language (reading, writing, speaking, listening)
- 5-10 years successful teaching experience in an American high school(s)
- Minimum four years’ experience in writing, editing and publishing, preferably textbooks and digital materials
Qualifications, Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong technological skills and familiarity with online learning
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-directed, with ability to prioritize and multitask
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Project management experience
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office and standard publishing software applications
Desired Qualifications, Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish
- Graduate work in related field
- Knowledge of another language, e.g. French, German, Italian, Chinese
- Knowledge of online learning environments and other technology used in education
EMC Publishing offers market-competitive salary with excellent benefits.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by applying firstname.lastname@example.org,*linkedin.com,*monster.com, or by visiting emcp.com* No phone calls please.
EMC Publishing LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities, Women, Veterans, Disability.
EMC Publishing, LLC is committed to providing Equal Opportunity to all applicants. In accordance with our policies and federal law, we’re committed to provide reasonable accommodations. If you are a qualified disabled person, a disabled veteran or have other barriers to access our online application system, please contact Human Resources at 651-290-2800 to discuss alternative ways to apply for employment.