UBM Associate Editor in Norwalk, Connecticut
UBM is seeking a talented individual to join the Medica team in the role of* associate editor. *
UBM organizes over 300 market-leading B2B events every year. At our events we create the environments which allow business to flourish. Our knowledge of the communities we serve, our ability to attract the right people and our skill at curating the physical space and creating memorable experiences bring thousands of like-minded people together. It is this shared experience and the opportunities to make human connections which allow businesses to grow.
Our events serve a tremendous variety of different industry sectors from furniture to fashion to pharma. In total we serve over 50 different communities.
There are over 3,750 people working at UBM. We operate in more than 20 countries. This global footprint allows us to help businesses to trade both domestically and internationally.
Responsible for editing and writing industry-specific/technical content of interest to industry readership; coordinates with internal and external subject matter experts to generate and manage engaging and relevant information of interest. Conducts research and writes copy, tracks copy and graphic material, performs copyediting and proofreading, assists in the coordination of editorial, art and production workflow and planning. Follows publication standards and policies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies topics and content for live, web, and/or print media; conducts research, interviews, writes and edits industry or channel specific material to assure that it is clear, concise, and accurate.
- Assists in coordinating the editorial workflow, quality control, and shipping processes for digital content, supplements, and other special projects; may include editing manuscripts, proofreading prepared galleys and participating in quality checks.
- Participates in reader and industry research, keeping abreast and ahead of anticipated market needs and changes, and works with editorial staff to adjust strategy accordingly; is cognizant of reader and advertiser needs and works in partnership with sales staff to meet both sets of needs without compromising editorial integrity.
- Acquires new content and works effectively with colleagues to develop products and re-purpose existing content for digital distribution (web, e-mail, social media, video & audio, mobile); may include creating audio and/or video with industry experts.
- Enters stories and photography into Content Management System (CMS); coordinates and collaborates with design and production peers to ensure that materials are routed to the proper destination within specified time frames, adhering to all deadlines.
- Posts content online and produces newsletters and industry alerts;
- Routinely posts on social media to help drive web traffic to business group websites; works with editorial team to innovate content presenation on various platforms (including video, audio, etc.)
- Assists managers and peers in establishing project goals, objectives, quality standards, deadlines and quality assurance methods to measure customer satisfaction; meets with staff members to formulate product strategies, plan production, and discuss topics for self-generated articles and other projects.
- Establishes and maintains positive professional relationships with authors, industry experts, and other internal and external contacts; develops, maintains, and utilizes knowledge of industry trends, competitive environment and the editorial vision to build relationships with industry leaders to identify emerging and significant developments.
- May attend industry conferences, trade shows, and other events, representing the publication and the Company as required.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or a related field with at least 1 year of experience in supporting content/online role.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to produce persuasive copy in limited space and across multiple technologies
- Good listening, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills; strong organizational abilities; and demonstrated flexibility
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a creative team, and possess exceptional writing skills supported by a strong ability to interact with others
- Must be able to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced evolving environment
- Attention to detail and copy editing skills are critical
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel); comfortable in Adobe suite (DreamWeaver, InDesign/InCopy, PhotoShop); and experienced with content management systems
- Travel is required up to 10% (ground and air travel)
Please submit writing samples with your application in order to be considered for this opportunity.
*Why work for UBM? *
As an employee of UBM you will have access to a positive company culture, a flexible and professional environment, UBM Employee Benefits and a commitment from us that we will invest in developing your talent.
UBM is committed to its policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees. Our employment practices are based on each person's skills, abilities and performance. We provide equal opportunity in employment to qualified individuals regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender identity, gender re-assignment, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by law. This commitment extends to all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, discipline and discharge. Any form of discrimination is in violation of this policy and will not be tolerated by the Company.
We invite you to be part of an organization that is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and to being a responsible, sustainable business.
UBM is an E-Verify employer.
Tracking Code: 173233-268
Job Location: Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular