West Publishing Corporation Senior Associate Editor, Trust & Estate in New York, New York
Practical Law, a Thomson Reuters business, is a leading online provider of legal know-how. We help business lawyers practice more efficiently and deliver greater value to clients. We deliver our content to companies, law firms and law schools. Our subscribers include most major international law firms and corporations, including approximately 85% of the Am Law 200, hundreds of small and mid-size firms and over 1,300 legal departments worldwide.
Practical Law is looking for a Senior Associate Editor to conduct research, and draft, edit, and publish content for its Trusts & Estates web service. The Senior Associate Editor will:
- Work with Senior Legal Editors and contributing authors to draft, edit, and maintain state-specific trusts and estates resources across jurisdictions. The resources include practice guidance notes, checklists, standard documents, legal updates, and other state-specific legal content in accordance with Practical Law writing style.
- Author and edit state-specific resources for Massachusetts.
- Carry out search trawls of numerous websites and other sources using the software application WebSite-Watcher for current developments and potential topics for legal updates and other state-specific resources for the Trusts & Estates service.
- Edit state-specific trusts and estates resources to conform with Practical Law's house style and plain English.
- Collaborate with other Practical Law editors on content planning and priorities to meet the practice needs of trusts and estates lawyers, and to identify and develop new high-value resources.
- Help maintain and manage internal progress charts, databases, and folders.
- Stay informed of current developments and issues in trusts and estates nationally and across jurisdictions, to ensure timely updates of existing content and to help develop new content.
- Provide additional editorial support for the Trusts & Estates service as required.
This role can be located in a remote home office location in Massachusetts.
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to undertake writing and editing samples.
- J.D. required.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience working as a Trusts and Estates Attorney in a law firm in Massachusetts.
- A clear focus on trusts and estates matters.
- Actively licensed in Massachusetts.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Significant and broad expertise and practice experience in a variety of trusts and estates matters, optimally including:
- Routine estate planning with wills and revocable trusts, planning with irrevocable trusts, charitable planning, special needs planning, planning for closely-held business owners, routine and complex probate and estate administration matters, preparation of federal estate tax returns (and state, as applicable), preparation of federal gift tax returns, and generation-skipping transfer tax planning.
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A good understanding of the needs and priorities of trusts and estates attorneys, and the legal market in general.
- Strong communication skills.
- A passion for writing and strong editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- excellent command of grammar, punctuation and plain English;
- strong technical drafting skills; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
- Self-motivated with excellent management and organizational skills to effectively track productivity and ensure product development milestones are met.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.To learn more about what we offer, please visit .More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on .
New York-New York-United States of America;Boston-Massachusetts-United States of America
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.