Amazon Corporate LLC Production Editor in New York, New York
DESCRIPTIONAmazon Publishing is the full-service publishing arm of Amazon. Our mission is to invent new and better ways to connect authors and readers.The Amazon Publishing team is looking for a results-oriented Production Manager to oversee the creation of its adult nonfiction for the Little A imprint and illustrated children's physical and e-books for the Two Lions imprint in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will be well-organized and metrics-driven, with a strong bias for action and ability to independently drive end-to-end book creation processes. This role will have daily contact with content and metadata, and will manage numerous production services that result in a high quality final book. The Production Manager will identify, define, propose and deliver broad process improvements and tools for the production of Amazon Publishing books.This position is based in New York with visits to Seattle as needed.This position works closely with editorial, marketing, publicity and operations as well as with external vendors to ensure our books reach market on schedule and at the highest quality levels. Responsibilities include:
* Overseeing and tracking day-to-day production workflows, ensuring processes are documented, efficient, streamlined, and that books are produced at the highest quality
* Establishing priorities, identifying and communicating risks and mitigation plans in collaboration with stakeholders; developing and maintaining production milestones and completion dates
* Managing production schedules and files: supervise production progress and review files for quality issues to ensure deadlines are met throughout all phases of book production
* Maintaining vendor relationships: manage communication, oversee and review quality of work, and facilitate issue resolution
* Ingesting and archiving files using internal systems
* Driving and championing new technologies, collaborations, and improved processes to define, leverage and implement best content production and delivery practices including leading continuous improvements in quality, cost reduction, production time and pipeline capacity
* Contribute to the team vision for production in the US
* Experience using operational metrics to drive process improvement and efficiencies with a focus on creating scalable systemsThe successful candidate must have the ability to manage multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment while maintaining high standards of quality and a strong author and customer focus.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS* Bachelor's degree
* Three or more years of relevant experience in book publishing operations with a focus on process development and quality assurance
* Experience copy editing and proofreading with an ability to make judgement calls that balance house style (Chicago Manual of Style) with creative intent
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS* Three or more years of experience overseeing production of nonfiction book content.
* Three or more years of experience overseeing production of children's book content.
* Process improvement experience such as Lean, Six Sigma, Kaizen, and/or Operational Excellence
* Familiarity with complex technology, file formats, data transmission and storage, XML and knowledge of multiple computer platforms
* Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results by influencing and negotiating
* Familiarity with print and digital book production processes and technology
* Experience managing multiple large volume, highly visible projects simultaneously, under very tight deadlines
* Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
* Strong analytical abilities, including intermediate experience working with MS Office, especially Excel and Word
* Demonstrated ability to use strong business judgment
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation