LSC Communications Crafts Acquisition Editor in Mineola, New York
Crafts Acquisition Editor (1800010X)
The Crafts Acquisitions Editor for Dover Publications executes the publishing strategy within the crafts general trade publishing program. Specifically, the position will develop editorial content in line with the agreed upon editorial direction in order to meet defined revenue objectives. The Crafts Acquisitions Editor must analyze data to identify markets and create books to reach the target audience.
The development of a robust publishing program through selecting and evaluating quality content, with a proven eye to recognize trends is key to the candidate's success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To acquire, using all applicable methods, new titles to sell through all of our retail and direct-to-consumer channels of sales.
2. Research potential publication ideas, including trends in the market. Maintain a current and comprehensive knowledge of the competitive landscape and take proactive measures to maximize Dover's advantage.
3. Innovate new product types - both single titles and series - that addresses various needs and interests of key retail and/or consumers, that may be identified through research, analysis and customer requests.
4. Champion the titles through sales conference presentations, collaborating with marketing and sales colleagues and garnering author promotional support.
5. Product P&L responsibility and accountability for owning and delivering revenue and profitability to the company.
6. Identify select titles to be reprinted which have gone out of print with their original publishers. Once acquired the Acquisition Editor will work with authors on corrections, revisions, adding any new material.
7. Negotiate deals and contracts with authors and/or author estates.
8. Present new book proposals to the Editorial Board. Communicate the vision and direction for the acquired book to its editor and see that vision through to the final product.
9. Work with art and marketing to develop appropriate supplements and support materials and product packaging concepts with a goal of adding value and stimulating sell through. Work with marketing and sales to coordinate information on selected projects and to handle requests for support.
10. Communicate effectively both within the organization and with authors etc., outside of the company. Must be highly skilled at negotiation and communication.
11. Work closely with other departments throughout the organization including Production, Editorial, Art, Sales and Marketing.
A Bachelor's Degree or higher (Humanities preferred) or 5 years relevant professional experience
Very strong sense of contemporary culture, trends and potential niches.
Ability to analyze market data is critical to the success of this position. Must be able to pull information from our database and analyze sales trends.
Very strong computer skills, including use of MS Word, Excel and Outlook
Excellent communicate skills. Skilled at negotiating with authors and agents.
Ability to work on several projects at once, including projects at different stages of development
Ability to meet deadlines, problem-solve and coordinate with other departments
Extensive knowledge of Dover's publishing program preferred
Experience acquiring craft books for other publishers is required
LSC Communications is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in any employment decision because of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, perceived disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information or on the basis of any other status protected by applicable federal or local laws.