RELX Group Assistant Editor, iScience in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Assistant Editor, iScience
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Your new role:
Cell Press is seeking a full-time scientific Assistant Editor to work on iScience, an exciting new broad scope open access journal that champions basic life and physical science.
We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic scientific editor with a background in the life sciences who shares our passion for helping scientists publish their work in a straightforward and timely way.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Assess submitted research papers
• Oversee the peer review process for direct submissions and transferred contributions
• Establish relationships with researchers
• Work collaboratively with academic editorial board members and editors
• Recruit exciting research
• Commission review content
• Building effective working relationships with colleagues across Cell Press and beyond
• Representing the journal and Cell Press at scientific meetings, and visits to research institutions
This is a full-time in-house editorial position, based in our main US office in Cambridge, MA or in London, UK.
What you should bring:
• PhD in a life science discipline. Applicants with a professional background such as running a research group or working in industry are also encouraged. Previous editorial experience is an advantage but not required.
• Broad scientific interests, a desire to learn, and the ability to think critically about a wide range of scientific issues. As a scientific editor, you will need to develop an understanding of the diverse areas covered by the journal, as well as be open to exciting emerging topics.
• Great interpersonal skills. Collaboration and networking are core aspects of the job.
• Strong ability to communicate clearly.
• Strong ability to organize, prioritize, and focus.
• Creativity, willingness to experiment, and desire to improve.
• The ability to work well in a team.
What we offer:
Cell Press offers an attractive salary and benefits package and a stimulating working environment that encourages innovation. Applications will be held in the strictest of confidence.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis until May 31st 2018. Please include a cover letter describing why you are interested in this role.
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray's Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com.