CoStar Group Copy Editor in Washington, District Of Columbia
CoStar has served as a respected source of news for the fast-paced commercial real estate industry for more than two decades. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group top 100 fastest growing companies in the world. As a member of CoStar’s news team, you will review our news coverage for grammar, spelling, usage and style, ensuring each article is factually accurate, conforms to CoStar's news standards and is ready for publication. Drawing on your journalism background and copy-editing experience, command of grammar and spelling and attention to detail, you will review, revise and shape the extensive news, expert commentary and analysis reported on CoStar.com to our large audience of real estate deal-makers throughout the U.S.
CoStar is expanding our news platform with the addition of several news editor positions and additional resources to take our news service to the next level. This is a great opportunity for experienced and highly-organized copy editors to support CoStar’s expanding news team based in our Washington, DC headquarters. Previous copy-editing newsroom experience for a daily or weekly business publication is a definite advantage.
- Play a key role in the news editing process by correcting grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Double check that names, places and organizations are spelled properly and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- In addition proofreading news articles for spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, the Copy Editor will review articles for readability, provide feedback and suggestions to the reporter to make the article better.
- Confirm that news articles follow a style and format that meets CoStar News’ editorial policy and guidelines, and that the reporter cited appropriate sources or research in news reports.
- Write headlines and subheads for news articles, proofread captions for photos and charts in news reports, and check the source of images and other materials included in news reports to ensure they conform to appropriate use under any copyright.
- Collaborate with CoStar’s News Team to develop story ideas, diversify our coverage, and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
- Ability to work with different reporters to offer comments and suggestions to improve the news article and strengthen the reporter’s abilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven copy-editing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication with extensive experience in a copy-editing or proofreading role (min. three years.)
- Strong journalism background with proven writing and copy-editing skills, ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and copy editing a variety of news styles and formats, from straightforward hard news to profiles of industry leaders and longer, analytic pieces.
- Ferocious attention to detail with an obsession for eliminating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, improving readability, and ensuring that all content is factually correct.
- Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
- B2B media experience preferred.
- Excellent headline and photo caption-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
- Posted 15 Days Ago
- Full time