Defense Media Activity Writer-Editor (Newspaper) NF-04 in United States
Please include name and contact information for at least two (2) professional references in your resume.
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is Worldwide. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP), Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) and Family Member Preference eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)
This position is located at Stars and Stripes Pacific, Yokota AFB Japan.
Stars and Stripes has reported first-hand on military conflicts since the Civil War and continuously since World War II by reporting information and news of interest and value. We offer the military community a choice of media to assure access by service members, their families, veteran's civilian employees, and other interested readers. Our news gathering and publishing activities are guided by the principles of a free press and are free of any and all outside control.
The incumbent serves as Bureau Chief and is responsible for the overall production and activities of the bureau to include planning, supervising, writing, photography, and editing for Stars and Stripes publications within the assigned region.
Writes and photographs pertinent new stories for the Stars and Stripes readership in the assigned region. Ensures graphic material is consistent with or expands on the text and is appropriate. Researches and verifies information presented in publications.
Determines priorities, assigns, reviews, and accepts or rejects work. Assigns projects and monitors progress. Provides general guidance, allowing subordinates to exercise independent judgment and creativity. Provides initial edit of all copy produced by the bureau to ensure accuracy, timeliness, completeness, clarity, and appropriateness style. Helps prepare daily and weekly story budget and works with other editors to ensure photographs, and computer-generated graphics are appropriate for stories and attract reader interest. Ensures all publications conform to editorial standards and Stars and Stripes guidance.
Determines milestones and coordinates as appropriate for the timely production and submission of publications. Reports to the supervisory editor in the theater and advises on the current status of daily, weekly, and long-term schedules and deadlines and alerts the supervisor of potential delays. Determines and justifies program requirements, i.e., equipment, budgetary, personnel, administrative, and takes action to ensure these are met.
Coordinates with co-workers, writers, SMEs, contractors, DoD agencies, and other individuals within government and private sector organizations as appropriate. Works closely with other editorial staff within Stars and Stripes. Establishes professional rapport with contacts at various levels and within a wide range of authority within Stars and Stripes.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- 25% or Greater
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
- You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Non-Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- A one year probationary period may be required
- This is an Emergency Essential Position
- Citizenship eligible under country SOFA agreement
Three years of work experience as a reporter, or editor, or on-line producer, or news manager in commercial news organizations such as news agencies, or newspapers, or broadcaster or news websites. Demonstrate work experience must include 1 year equivalent in complexity and difficulty to the next lower pay band level.
Preferred are those candidates who possess a 4-yr course of study leading to a Bachelor's degree in journalism and related work experience as described above.
Conditions of Employment:
- If selected, a completed and signed copy of our job application form (DA Form 3433) is required prior to entrance on duty. (Click hereto view form).
- A valid US driver's license is required.
- Pre-employment physical exam is required.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment background checks in accordance with AR 215-3 to include a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI).
- Social Security Card must be presented at the time of appointment.
What To Expect Next
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!
Review our benefits
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is in the Government interest.
- Employment Overseas provides a lot of additional benefits & entitlements, for information click here
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program, for information click here
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472979100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-10 to 2017-07-23
Salary: $55,000 to $65,000 / per year
Pay scale & grade: NF 4
Series: 1082 Writing And Editing
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: FENAFFC1710018290
Control number: 472979100