RELX Group Associate Editor J3 - Community Care - Sutton, Surrey in United Kingdom
Associate Editor J3 - Community Care - Sutton, Surrey
Location: United Kingdom
The Community Care Group is looking for a talented associate editor for its multi-award winning news and community website for social care – communitycare.co.uk.
The Community Care Group produces not only communitycare.co.uk - our highly regarded news, analysis and community website - but also Community Care Inform Adults and Children, two subscription websites that help social workers make better decisions; Community Care Live, the premier learning event for social care professionals and Community Care Jobs which showcases the best jobs in social work and social care and helps employers find the high-quality professionals they need.
We have record levels of user engagement and customer satisfaction scores and have won numerous prestigious awards for our innovation in the digital-only era.
Reporting to the editor, the associate editor, will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of our news, analysis, social media and community content as well as building and developing commercial aspects of the product.
These will include creative content that enhances our jobseeker experience, innovative partnerships with key sector bodies and the development of an exciting new product based on research and data.
The social care sector is at the heart of the political landscape at the moment with the recent so called ‘dementia tax’ and its contribution to the surprise election result confirming its rising importance among voters. It is has been at the heart of some of the biggest national stories of recent years such as the tragic case of Baby P, the Rotherham abuse scandal and issues around helping asylum seeking children. This role offers the chance to cover a sector that has national importance and, by helping social workers, makes a real difference to the lives of vulnerable people.
Job responsibilities include:
- The day-to-day management and development of two multi-media journalists.
- Responsibility for maintaining Community Care’s very high standards of journalism, trusted news and analysis and hard-hitting investigative journalism by using a wide range of treatments and media to cater for different information needs.
- Maintaining a clear pipeline of editorial content and meeting deadlines.
- Ensuring Community Care has an effective social media strategy that both builds our social media audience and fully explores the potential and possibilities these platforms offer for innovation in publishing.
- Ensuring Community Care remains at the centre of the social work and social care community as a place to debate, share experiences and contribute opinions and insights.
- Co-ordination and oversight of our commercial editorial content ensuring it improves the jobseeker experience and helps social workers build their careers effectively.
- Help develop and expand an exciting new product using research and data to produce unique insights for the sector.
- Help develop effective models of audience and social media data to help drive decision making.
- Maintain close contacts and relationships with frontline social workers and managers to understand their daily working lives and how we can help them do their jobs better.
- Oversight of a content budget including monitoring and reviewing spend in-line with business priorities.
- Key experience required: Demonstrable experience working either in B2B publishing or website journalism Demonstrable management experience Proven ability to spot and break great news stories Key skills required:
- Professional expertise: must have demonstrable journalism skills as well as be up to date in new skills, technology and ways of working within publishing. Data manipulation and visualisation skills an advantage but not essential
- Change focus and business delivery: be able to look to the future and clearly articulate the vision and the practical steps needed to get there. Be comfortable juggling immediate and daily deadlines as well as longer term project deadlines and maintaining pace and impetus on both.
- Analysis and decision making: be able to identify issues and take confident action to overcome these.
- Leadership: be able to draw out the creativity of others and build upon it, network across different stakeholder groups successfully and ensure team members are working to their potential.
- Innovation and creativity: a clear understanding of some of the new options and models in journalism and publishing.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced news editor who wants to develop their strategic, and leadership skills in an innovative, fast-paced and creative atmosphere. It would be an ideal stepping stone to an editor role.
Flexible working considered
Community Care is a division of Reed Business and a member of the RELX Group, the world’s leading publisher and information provider.
About Reed Business Information
Reed Business Information provides information and online data services to business professionals worldwide. Customers have access to our high-value industry data, analytics, information and tools. Our strong global products and services hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day. RBI is part of RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions for professional customers across industries.
RBI are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
RBI Benefits Package
• Competitive basic salary
• 29 Days holiday (option to 32)
• Pension Scheme
• 2 Paid Charity Days
• Life Insurance (4 x salary)
• SAYE Scheme
• Season Ticket loan scheme
• Childcare Vouchers