EMC Publishing LLC World Language Production Editor in St. Paul, Minnesota
Responsible for the production of assigned textbooks or digital products from manuscript to bound book or other published formats by planning, coordinating, and directing the production process. Responsible for meeting schedule and cost requirements and ensuring quality and accuracy within these requirements. Works closely with internal team (primarily World Language Editors, Language Arts Editors, and Design Layout and Production [DLP] staff), authors, and external production services. Inspects and approves work of external production services. Prepares and reviews manuscript for composition for digital and print content; with some copyediting, proofreading, and photo research required. Reviews all phases of page proof and directs the page proof stages, coordinating with DLP staff or external compositor as established by the Production Manager. Conducts activity mapping for interactive eBook preparation, which consists of recording metadata (e.g. page number, activity number and type, lesson number, chapter number). Reviews eBooks to ensure appropriate functionality and display. Demonstrates a high degree of independent decision making and problem solving.
Desired knowledge of and fluency in Spanish or French for Production Editor work on these language programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, and tracks the production process to meet schedule, cost, and quality requirements.
- Establishes major schedule milestones in collaboration with Publisher, World Language Editors, and Production Manager to attain desired publication dates.
- Tracks project spending and manages project budgets.
- Reviews design information prepared by Publisher or World Language Editor prior to design launch. Participates in and contributes to design review meetings. Evaluates impact of design on production and manufacturing. Evaluates impact of design on eBook production. Ensures that final design layouts and specifications are complete and accurate. Applies to both interior and cover designs.
- In consultation with Production Manager, establishes external vendor services for copyediting, proofreading, indexing, art, and photos. Prepares bids and contracts. Prepares detailed instructions to vendors. Signs off on invoices. Establishes and monitors schedules. Checks vendor’s work to ensure accuracy and quality. Evaluates vendor’s work upon completion.
- Advises or directs as necessary the work of authors throughout the production process to ensure correct and efficient review of copyedited manuscript, art, photos, and page proofs.
- Prepares manuscript for composition for digital and print content, ensuring all elements are accounted for and queries resolved; with some copyediting, proofreading, and photo research required. Directs the page proof stages, coordinating with internal DLP staff or external compositor as established by the Production Manager. Coordinates author and external and internal project team; assures appropriate quality at all stages. Reviews all phases of page proofs.
- Conducts activity mapping for interactive eBook preparation, which consists of recording metadata (e.g. page number, activity number and type, lesson number, chapter number). Reviews eBooks to ensure appropriate functionality and display.
- Writes and submits the manufacturing specifications for print products. Monitors manufacturing work in progress. Reviews printer proofs of internal pages and cover.
- Participates in post implementation review process. Archives project materials. Announces the final print and digital project files to Digital Production team via Trello or a similar project tracking software.
- Completes established production forms throughout production. Prepares bi-weekly status reports for Production Manager.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in book publishing and/or multimedia, preferably in educational publishing
- Demonstrated project management skills
Desired Education and Experience
- Major in English, Communications, Journalism, or Business preferred
- Knowledge of, and fluency in, one or more of the following world languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, or Chinese
- Working knowledge or experience using InDesign highly desirable
Qualifications, Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Strong editorial skills and knowledge of bookmaking practices
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Strong eye for detail and design judgement
- Knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Knowledge of graphic design, typography, and page markup
- Experience with current electronic prepress technologies and art programs for one, two, and four-color books
- High Degree of competency with Adobe Acrobat
EMC Publishing offers market-competitive salary with excellent benefits.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by applying email@example.com,*linkedin.com,*or by visiting emcp.com*
No phone calls please.
EMC Publishing LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities, Women, Veterans, Disability.
EMC Publishing, LLC is committed to providing Equal Opportunity to all applicants. In accordance with our policies and federal law, we’re committed to provide reasonable accommodations. If you are a qualified disabled person, a disabled veteran or have other barriers to access our online application system, please contact Human Resources at 651-290-2800 to discuss alternative ways to apply for employment.