Wolters Kluwer Publisher in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Requisition Number: 17-16900
Shift: Not Applicable
Job Description: The Wolters Kluwer Health Learning, Research & Practice group located in Philadelphia PA is searching for a Publisher to join our team.
A Publisher is a seasoned publishing professional who drives the development of new business opportunities through acquisitions activity and the growth in quality and financial performance of the journals they manage. This requires knowledge of their portfolio, the market, opportunities and challenges. The Publisher is responsible for the overall management of a list of journals to include financial oversight, managing the editor/society relationship, and strategic development.
A Publisher has strong financial analysis and financial modeling skills; is experienced in the management and execution of major projects with strong problem solving skills; has excellent organizational and planning skills; and is a model communicator, collaborator, negotiator, and presenter.
Business and Product Development:
• Lead and Manage new product or new partnership proposals (ie. New society journals, society affiliations, supplements, proprietary journals)
• Develop strategy for successful journal renewals
• Develop new products for print and e-growth (including new journals, e-newsletters, commercial e-mails, videos, podcasts, forums, webcasts and virtual conferences, etc.) based on strategic priorities, industry experience, idea generation, site technology capabilities, staff resources, and marketplace research
• Develop strategic priorities based on industry/competitive analysis, idea generation, and marketplace research
• Expand into new or ancillary markets based on changes in market conditions and supported by CI
• Coordinate and evaluate financial profile for ROI/profitability
• Develop and enhance web initiatives around existing and unique print & online content, including the Electronic Journal Platform (eJP)
• Maintain and enhance the value proposition to subscribers/visitors to print and online content and other web sites, in order to increase subscriptions and website traffic, member registrations, repeat visits and profitability
• Transform and reposition appropriate print products to online
• Collaborate with marketing & sales to drive website traffic
• Collaborate with advertising sales teams to create content types for enhanced revenue opportunities
• Keep abreast of industry developments, becomes an expert with respect to the competition (editorial, advertising, key players, affiliations), and project future trends in print, online and mobile product delivery
• Remain knowledgeable about and trends in website design and functionality
• Collaborate with Ad Sales to define, document and develop new advertising products and sponsorship opportunities
• Collaborate to obtain customer research and feedback regarding usage and member/visitor behavior
• Conduct competitive analysis and monitor emerging market trends to identify areas for differentiation and improvement
• Gather and/or contract for, analyze and report on market and customer research to effectively translate requirements into product features
• Collaborate with marketing to develop product messaging and positioning, prepare and implement strategic plans, collaborate on product launch materials, and provide post-launch support
• Ensure Revenue & Margin goals for all products are met or exceeded
• Negotiate sound editor, society, and sponsorship contracts (new and renewal), including preparing and analyzing financial data
• Review overall portfolio and proactively adjust product plan to improve/achieve performance (Cost containment & reallocation of resources as needed)
• Collaborate w/ e-strategy, Ad Sales, PSG and Marketing to achieve financial results
• Prepare/analyze financial data for pub reports
• Evaluate all products, feature sets and mediums for best possible financial performance/pruning when necessary
• Set editorial direction based on market opportunities and potential for growth
• Evaluate and monitor performance for EIC or other Editorial support
• Manage editorial office (contract knowledge/cost control)
• Contract negotiation and budget setting
• Succession Planning EIC
• Collaborate on supplement opportunities
• Plan, execute, and implement changes (design, electronic, format) based on CI
• Identify and exploit online/print and mobile ad opportunities
• Build relationships with key society contracts for potential partnerships
• Prepare Annual Publisher Reports or more frequent as define in publishing agreement
• Develop Strategy Plans
• Develop publishing direction for proprietary titles based on market opportunities
• Continually evaluate lists for opportunities related to electronic migration, new affiliations, market expansions, termination decisions, format & frequency changes
• Provide reports on product updates and visitor/member activities to Executive Team as directed
• Communicate with ad sales force on product features and benefits, site metrics, product messaging, demos, trainings, etc.
• Effectively manage internal/external editorial resources and relationships to ensure operational efficiency
• Collaborate with the Product Development Team to identify applicable technical functionality to incorporate into existing or newly developed products
• Timely submission of trip reports
• Monthly journal/society updates through the Monthly Operating Report (MOR)
• Effectively manage current society relationships
• Fulfill contract obligations
• Identify key decisions makers within the society
• Participate in society meetings
• Prepare required reports— publishing, financial, circulation, usage statistics, impact factor
• Evaluate and respond to RFPs
• Evaluate potential society affiliation models for best revenue opportunities for proprietary products i.e. online only compulsory receipt; selection of content
• Evaluate existing society profitability according to guidelines and recommend renewal or pruning.
•Attend industry events including new media programs in order to enhance skills & knowledge in online publishing
•Performs other duties as assigned by Manager
Qualifications: Education: Baccalaureate degree or equivalent
•2+ years of related industry experience; STM publishing preferred
•Understanding of journals publishing, trends, business drivers, and culture of scientific publishing
•Relationship management experience
•Strong financial analysis and financial modeling skills
•Experience in management and execution of projects with strong problem solving skills
•Demonstrate proven organizational and planning skills while exhibiting detail oriented behavior
•Excellent writing, communication, negotiation and presentation skills
•Successfully acquired and/or launched new society or proprietary products
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications: (First list requirements, followed by preferences.)
•MS Office; proficiency with Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
•Ability to work with others
•Passionate about online media & product development
•Good knowledge of legal and ethical publishing protocols
•Domestic travel to conferences, strategic planning meetings, etc
•International travel may be required
•Travel as percentage of job 15-20%
ABOUT WOLTERS KLUWER
Wolters Kluwer N.V. (AEX: WKL) is a global leader in information services and solutions for professionals in the health, tax and accounting, risk and compliance, finance and legal sectors. We help our customers make critical decisions every day by providing expert solutions that combine deep domain knowledge with specialized technology and services.
Wolters Kluwer reported 2016 annual revenues of €4.3 billion. The company, headquartered in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, serves customers in over 180 countries, maintains operations in over 40 countries and employs 19,000 people worldwide.
Wolters Kluwer shares are listed on Euronext Amsterdam (WKL) and are included in the AEX and Euronext 100 indices. Wolters Kluwer has a sponsored Level 1 American Depositary Receipt program. The ADRs are traded on the over-the-counter market in the U.S. (WTKWY).
For more information about our solutions and organization, visit www.wolterskluwer.com, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Wolters Kluwer U. S. Corporation and all of its subsidiaries, divisions, and customer/business units is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
For any assistance with your application for this job opening, please call the HR Source at (888) 495-4772 or email HRSource@WoltersKluwer.com. TTY is also available at 888 (495) 4771.