Hearst Television Assignment Desk Editor in Orlando, Florida
WESH 2 News is looking for a modern News Assignment Desk Editor to help lead daily newsgathering while also contributing content to our digital platforms.
“Local.Live.LateBreaking” is our brand and we live it daily in a market where breaking news is the rule and not the exception. In addition to covering breakers that often play out on a local and national stage, we are committed to telling the stories that matter in our community. The ability to contribute hard enterprise and investigative content into our daily mix is a must.
The successful candidate will be an excellent Journalist and multi-tasker who can create and contribute content under constant deadline pressure.
- Reacts aggressively and decisively to breaking news with or without management present, helping WESH 2 News to win the story on ALL platforms
- Coordinates assignment desk logistics including managing news crews, coordinating with affiliate stations, booking satellite windows and live shots
- Posts daily to the WESH 2 digital platforms and thrives when asked to send push notifications, coordinate live streams and engage users with digital content
- Thinks creatively and digs deeper than other Journalists to help us break stories that nobody else is telling
- Has a finger on the pulse of Central Florida’s social media landscape and is able to unearth stories on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and area websites
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with government agencies and public relations representatives, and local newsmakers
- Works with Managing Editor and Digital Media Manager to execute and add to the digital desk’s long-term planning and strategic vision
- Demonstrates exceptional news judgment
- Demonstrates superb organizational and problem solving skills
- Multi-tasks efficiently under heavy deadline pressure
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining contacts
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including overnights and holidays.
- One to three years of professional newsroom experience
- College degree in Journalism or Communications or related field desired
Job ID: 2229
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Job Category: News
Location: Orlando, FL US
Station Name: WESH/WKCF-TV