Macmillan Managing Editor in New York
Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American
publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford
Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic
background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.
The managing editor oversees the copyediting, proofreading, and trafficking of the Imprint winter, spring, and fall lists, including picture books, fiction, and nonfiction titles. Production-edits approximately 40 titles per year, collaborating with the copy
chief to assign the remaining titles on each season. Inputs metadata into the title management system (Biblio) at acquisition and maintains from that point, keeping all necessary departments updated on changes. Approves text and cover/jacket materials before
printing, ensuring quality is maintained. Runs bi-weekly production meetings and works with the editorial, design, and production departments to suggest solutions and make decisions on scheduling issues.
• Work with publisher and senior executive managing editor to finalize seasons and prepare materials for scheduling meetings, seasonal presentations, and pricing meetings.
• Enter and maintain key metadata for all titles.
• Handle all production editorial tasks on approximately 40 new titles per year. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Recruit and evaluate new freelancers. Monitors the quality of freelance work and, in tandem with the senior executive managing editor and copy chief, set and maintain guidelines for house style. Evaluate invoices, negotiate fees, and make suggestions for
• Prepare both paper and electronic manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Check author and proofreader revisions have been made correctly.
• Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket/cover copy, and other material, including a variety of advertising, promotional, and marketing materials.
• Maintain consistent style within each work.
• Work with editors and designers to anticipate and solve issues.
• Work closely with the managing editors to develop new or improved workflows and procedures, particularly with regard to emerging technologies.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects at once.
• Organize or schedule other people and their tasks effectively.
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting.
• Must have at least two years of relevant experience at another trade publisher. Must have children’s book experience, including working on titles from picture books through young adult fiction and nonfiction.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree