Macmillan Digital Editor in New York
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American
publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford
Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic
background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.
Opportunity for an energetic, creative, digitally focused professional to edit content and manage workflow for one of Macmillan’s largest digital properties, the Quick and Dirty Tips network. The editor will be the main point of contact with podcast hosts and
authors and will be responsible for content, including feature articles, blog posts, podcasts, videos, and books. This position includes strategic development and oversight of QDT’s editorial and SEO strategy as well as its content-partnership program, designed
to build audience.
• Oversee, assign, and approve topics and edit content for QDT network from start to finish.
• Manage content and headline-writing strategy to incorporate SEO best practices and drive traffic.
• Push forward creative online features, working in a fast-paced environment with many moving parts, to maximize audience development.
• Generate ideas, pitches and new contributors, effectively balancing growth with experimentation.
• Build a strong relationship with other brands, within Macmillan and externally, to drive partnership and growth opportunities.
• Coordinate efforts in our social media channels and give guidance to writers to facilitate the brand’s overall presence and success.
• Analytically assess web-site data and book sales to identify trends and make recommendations to improve performance.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Proven track record in professional writing and editing.
• SEO best practices.
• Strong communication skills – ability to recruit, wrangle, and direct writers with authority and tact.
• Passion for digital information consumption and a keen interest in participating in ongoing efforts to find the most useful, interesting ways to present content to millions of fans around the world.
• Familiarity with online metrics.
• Team player, with the ability to multi-task and hit time-sensitive release dates and deadlines.
• Familiarity with content management system basics.
• Passion for crafting great headlines and doing what it takes to enhance and improve content for the network.
• Flexibility to work with text, photos and graphics to creating engaging digital content.
• 5 years editing and growing audience for a digital property.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree required in related field.