Macmillan Associate Production Editor/Asst to Managing Editor in New York
Associate Production Editor/Asst to Managing Editor
Farrar Straus & Giroux
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American
publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford
Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group. LLC.
Dual position, reporting to the managing editor. As associate production editor, will work on 4–6 new titles per season under the managing editor’s supervision, as well as paperback conversions and reprints. Duties include hiring freelancers; collating proofs;
checking corrections; and copyediting/proofreading indexes, jacket copy, press releases, and other material. As assistant, duties include data entry and verification, filing, maintaining records, trafficking, processing CIP applications and reprint corrections,
and other administrative duties. Must be detail-oriented, conscientious, and able to meet deadlines, with excellent grammar, copyediting, and proofreading skills. Background in book publishing preferred.
• Serve as production editor on 4–6 new titles per season, plus paperback conversions and reprints. Hire freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers, and supervise their work. Prepare manuscripts for design and typesetting. Collate author and proofreader
corrections, and check that corrections have been made correctly. Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket copy, press releases, and other material. Maintain consistent style within each work. Check digital blues.
• Assist the busy managing editor in daily office business. Update and send out the weekly production schedule and due dates memo. Process all reprint corrections. Help process freelancer invoices. Data entry. Proofread catalog copy. Process CIP applications
and Notice for Copyright forms for all titles. Traffic material between departments.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
• Strong knowledge of grammar and punctuation, including familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to meet deadlines while juggling multiple projects at once
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Track Changes
• Desire to be a production editor (who makes sure everything is correct in the book) as opposed to an editor (who acquires and edits the book)
• Proactive attitude in finding ways to improve processes or help the managing editor
• Fluency in foreign language(s) desired but not essential
• Must have prior copyediting and proofreading experience, preferably with another book-publishing company
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Publishing courses desired but not essential