Dow Jones & Co. Social/Off-Platform Editor in New York, New York
Dow Jones & Co.
Requisition ID 2017-30083
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function News/Editorial
Business Area NEWS/WSJ
Job Area1 News
Job Description:The Off-Platform/Social Media Editor ensures that The Wall Street Journal's social and off-platform content, every hour of the day, is giving our audience the best possible experience. He or she is uniquely focused on growing that audience by using partnerships and organic measures to drive quality traffic. He or she manages a team to carry out and gauge success of the coverage developed by the Chief News Editor and the coverage chiefs and the broad strategies developed by the Editor for Digital Content Strategy.Tasks/Responsibilities
- Plan and execute the day's social media promotion based on insights about the target audience for each piece, relying on story package recommendations from the coverage areas.
- When necessary, tailor WSJ story packages for highest off-platform impact, including adjusting headline style and length, graphic sizing and legibility, photo crops, hyperlinks, etc., based on the information and suggestions provided by the coverage area and industry best practice
- Work with coverage chiefs on package planning as needed to help them understand off-platform imperatives.
- Evaluate and implement paid promotion tactics, measure performance and refine tactics.
- Measure performance of all WSJ social media activities, change story components to optimize performance. Feed learnings back to coverage areas.
- Plan and implement re-surfacing of social media posts and A/B and multivariate testing where possible or necessary. Feed learnings back to coverage areas.
- Create regular performance reports with lessons learned and coach coverage areas in off-platform audience growth and optimization tactics.
- Work with Membership group's audience development team on social media optimization tactics.
- Regularly review and optimize the off-platform/social strategies with the Editor for Digital Content Strategy and the Digital News Editor.
- Work with the Editor for Digital Content Strategy and Editorial Lab to identify trends and opportunities for off-platform specific formats and storytelling. Test theories, implement successful ones in the newsroom.
- Manage a team of social media editors, platform engagement and customization/tailoring specialists, who handle the minute-by-minute display of all our coverage during the New York day.
- Create and manage a 24/7 coverage strategy together with the WSJ newsrooms in London and Hong Kong; plan and manage a seamless plan to hand off responsibility for the social coverage plans between the three newsrooms.
- Lead and manage a team of platform engagement and customization/tailoring specialists.
- Inspire the team and our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance - ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Deeply customer and market driven
- Ideally has three to five years' experience in a data team for a digitally focused media or news organization, or a successful online retailer or e-commerce company and has knowledge of news-industry imperatives.
- Numbers-driven with a keen attention to detail, particularly around data validation, reporting and stakeholder communication.
- Deep understanding of referral channels such as search engines, social media, direct, alerts and emails.
- Proficient in SEO and audience analytical tools, e.g. Omniture/Adobe Analytics, Parse.ly, SQL/Google BigQuery, Report Builder, Facebook Insight, Twitter and LinkedIn Analytics, Google Analytics
- Proficient in social media management tools such as Social Flow.
- Experience with data extraction, reporting tools.
- Proven ability to train and communicate knowledge of social media publication, SEO and simple analytics to other stakeholders clearly.
- Data-visualization knowledge and talent.
- Reporting to: Digital News Editor
- Direct reports: Social media editors, Audience development specialists
Company Overview:The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets