The Associated Press News Editor/Fact Checks in New York, New York
The Associated Press seeks a talented News Editor for Fact Checks, based at its New York headquarters, for a year-long project aimed at expanding its capacity and that of its broad network of members and customers, to fight misinformation with fact checks and other forms of accountability journalism. Reporting to the Director of AP's Nerve Center, this news editor will work with journalists in all departments of the AP's newsroom in all media formats. The successful candidate will develop plans for ensuring that significant policy statements by politicians, government officials, business leaders and others in positions of power and authority are examined for their veracity, and published to all AP members and customers in all media formats, as well as on AP's digital platforms. This news editor will also be expected to play a leading role in the industry-wide effort to slow the spread of misinformation, and will manage develop and manage training programs for AP staff, members and customers. The successful candidate will also experiment aggressively with the use of structured data, automation and new storytelling formats to check facts and reach new consumers.
The successful candidate will:
* work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
* be conversant in multi-format journalism and the crafting of fact checks and accountability journalism that tells the story in multiple ways to serve AP's wide-ranging set of customers across the globe.
* pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP s standards for integrity and objectivity, and use relevant analytical metrics to evaluate the reach of AP's fact checking efforts.
* have superior design and technical skills, experience visualizing information in compelling ways and a track record of conceptualizing and implementing creative digital projects.
* have the ability and willingness to work nights and weekends, as the coverage demands as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The Fact Check News Editor must have demonstrated excellence as a newsroom leader, with a deep record of guiding reporters, editors and producers to deliver stories about complex issues in a clear and engaging way in multiple media formats. Applicants must be able to lead, guide, motivate and innovate inside a multi-format newsroom, working outside of direct reporting lines. The successful candidate will be expected to coordinating and communicating with AP staffers throughout the company and AP customers worldwide, including at locations outside of New York, and should have at least five years of full-time experience leading a beat team, department or newsroom at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
* Bachelor s degree or equivalent experience.
* Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
* Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
* Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
* Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
* History of leadership of journalists working in more than one format is a decided plus.
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
Employer's Job# 10067858
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.