NBC Universal Features Editor in New York, New York
Job Number 33609BR
Job Title Features Editor
Business Segment Cable Entertainment
Posting Category Digital Media
About Us NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Career Level Experienced
Country United States
State/Province New York
City New York
SYFY Wire is a fan-first genre news and editorial destination dedicated to covering science fiction and nerd culture across TV, Film, Books, Comics, space and technology with up-to-the-minute news, in-depth analysis and content that drives conversation and debate.
The Features Editor would spearhead original content initiatives for the site. This role will report to the Editor-in-chief.
• Work with the in-house editorial and video staff, as well as freelance talent, to conceive and execute features for Syfy Wire including (but not limited to) lists, opinion pieces, nostalgic deep dives, interviews, oral history and original videos (including appearing on-camera). This not only includes the management of such features, but the authoring of them at well – with the expectation of at least two features a day
• Create and maintain an editorial calendar that works in concert with and plays off of, events in the genre, in larger pop culture and within Syfy’s own ecosystem.
• Monitor site and social analytics to inform future editorial decisions
• Build relationships with press and talent
• Attend industry events, junkets, panels, etc in order to mine for content
• Proofread and edit feature related content for grammar, form, layout and voice
• Assist in guerilla marketing efforts around Syfy Wire content, including social outreach
• Manage a team of 10-15 freelance writers
• Bachelor's Degree required
• Deep and broad knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, pop culture in the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres across multiple media – primarily film, TV, comic books, games and literature
• Ability to quickly research and write about any of the above with which you might not be intimately familiar
• Keen eye for good written copy, including an excellent grasp of structure, form and grammar
• Smart, entertaining, clever and informed editorial voice based in a love of the genres we cover
• Ability to juggle multiple deadlines, multi-task and maintain a consistent publishing cadence and calendar
• Familiar with web-based content management systems and a basic knowledge of markup
• Ability to actively engage in social outreach and engagement with fan communities online
• On camera experience such as interviews, videos or Facebook Live initiatives
• Minimum 3 years experience in a media or publishing environment
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• Willingness to travel and work overtime with short notice
• Must be willing to work in New York, New York
• Deep knowledge and love of science fiction, fantasy and horror TV, movies, comic books and pop culture
• Superior writing and communication skills with a passionate POV
• Collaborative attitude
• Strong industry contacts
• Strong social media presence
• Proactive self-starter who is comfortable tackling projects beyond their job responsibility who can anticipate operational and critical issues with the content we publish
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.