Nature America, Inc Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor, Acquisitions Support in New York, New York
Springer Nature is one of the worlds leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13, 000 staff in over 50 countries.
We are recruiting for either an Editorial Assistant or Assistant Editor (depending on experience) to support an acquisitions program within our Business, Economics and Statistics subject area. Under direct supervision of Editor in Operations Research and Management Science, as well as the indirect supervision of Editor in Operations Research and Management Information Systems and Editorial Director, the Editorial Assistant or Assistant Editor will provideadministrative and editorial support and project development for books, journals and electronic products program in Operations Research, Management Science, Information Systems, and related subject areas. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provides editorial support for a portfolio of journals in Operations Research, Information Systems, Management Science, and related areas, including:
- Regular correspondence with journal editors and editorial board members
- Internal liaison with production, JEO, accounting, customer service, marketing, and other departments
- Preparation of contracts and agreements; response to customer and contributor inquiries
- Monitoring publication schedules and article budgets; supporting submission to indexing and abstracting services
- Assisting in preparation of marketing materials
- Conducting citation and usage data analysis; preparing journal performance reportsand maintaining and updating information for the publishers database and web site.
- Also may assist in research and preparation of materials for acquisition and development of new journals.
- Conducts regular correspondence with book authors and editors, including administrative support, response to inquiries and requests, and advising on all aspects of publication, before, during, and after publication.
- Serves as liaison with colleagues in production, accounting, customer service, marketing and sales departments (in multiple Springer locations).
- Maintains and updates information for the publishers database and web site; monitors accuracy of title information for use in marketing and sales materials; maintains data and information for Publishing Segment status reports.
- Advises book authors on manuscript formatting and presentation specifications; prepares incoming manuscripts for handover to production, including thorough review of manuscripts and ancillary materials for internal consistency and completeness; reviews and circulates metadata and cover proofs for approval.
- Solicits peer reviews for proposals and signed projects, and endorsement quotes on behalf of authors/editors.
- Prepares contracts and agreements, along with supporting documentation for routing; arranges for payment of stipends, honoraria, advances, and other fees and disbursements.
- Drafts and edits descriptive copy; assists in preparation of brochures, flyers, press releases, and other marketing/promotion materials; provides support for conferences and other events.
- May attend conferences/exhibits and/or campus visits.
- Depending on experience, may also undertake research on emerging trends, develop publication of selected revised editions, and acquire new titles, under supervision of senior editorial staff.
- Performs related duties as required.
3. GENERAL SUPPORT OF PUBLISHING SEGMENT
- Participates in Publishing Division meetings, workshops and discussions.
- Contributes to development of templates, systems, and procedures for the Publishing Division.
- Contributes to company-wide initiatives, including Open Access publishing, article transfers, the Advanced Textbook program, and social media/networking.
- May provide project and program support directly to Editorial Director, as needed.
- College background required -- Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred.
- 0-2 years experience in related editorial and/or research capacity; Assistant Editor candidates must have full-time editorial experience.
- Must be well-organized and attentive-to-detail.
- Knowledge of Word and Excel required.
- Willing to undertake training in database management systems.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD& D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature isan Equal Opportunity Employer that complieswith the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster:
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals
EOE -Veteran /Disabled/Minority/AA/F/M/SO