Oxford University Press Editor in New York, New York
Oxford University Press
Requisition Number 17-0135
Job Location New York
City New York City
Job Ad Responsibilities
We are looking for an energetic, hard-working, and detail-oriented Editor to join our New York City based humanities and social sciences journals team. The successful applicant will join a motivated and close-knit team, and be responsible for managing and acquiring titles for our high-quality and growing list.
Job responsibilities include:
Managing the list of journals to ensure targets are achieved, including maintaining good internal and external relationships and retaining third party and editor contracts.
Attending editorial board meetings, ad hoc meetings and conferences as required, coordinating the production of relevant reports, and presenting reports on behalf of OUP and explaining new publishing developments and policies.
Developing the list of journals to maximise long and short term profitability of the journal list, including but not limited to looking for new markets and revenue streams and applying appropriate pricing and new business models.
Through market knowledge and research, developing a list of target journals for acquisition in agreed subject areas.
Preparing strong bids and delivering successful presentations to prospective clients.
Managing the budgets and pricing for individual journals to ensure these are completed on schedule and fulfil agreed departmental targets.
Job Ad Requirements
• Bachelor's degree or higher
• At least four years' experience in an editorial publishing role, at increasing levels of responsibility.
• Experience of working well with societies in the social sciences
• Ability to establish and maintain strong, effective, working relationships with internal colleagues, external clients, and potential clients
• Analytical and forecasting ability to review trends and align development appropriately as well as to create sales forecasts in conjunction with colleagues in sales and marketing
• Understanding of journals publishing, management and development, including editorial processes and requirements as well as those of other journals departments (production, marketing, sales, customer service, online), business models, systems, industry trends, competitors, pricing strategies, quality metrics, technology and other relevant aspects
• Ability to influence, persuade and negotiate both internal and external stakeholders including editorial contacts, society contacts, and colleagues throughout all journals departments.
Please attach a cover letter with your application.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
- EEO is the Law.