Dow Jones & Co. Editor, Professional in New York, New York
Dow Jones & Co.
Requisition ID 2017-29964
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function News/Editorial
Business Area NEWS/WSJ
Job Area1 News
Job Area2 ..
Serve as content chief for all professional products, overseeing the journalists who produce Dow Jones Newswires and products targeted at business and financial professionals. Develop fast-growing, profitable products and services that meet the highly specialized needs of these audiences. Ensure that the newsroom has the focus and resources to take advantage of journalistic and revenue opportunities.
Content & Strategy
- Serve as content chief and oversee journalists for all of our professional products and ensure we are taking full advantage of content generated elsewhere within Dow Jones.
- Oversee editorial operation dedicated to specialized content on specific topics of interest to professionals, such as CFO Journal or Bankruptcy Pro.
- Oversee a desk of writers and editors dedicated to producing content for Dow Jones Newswires.
- Working with Audience Development and Customer Intelligence teams, understand our professional audience deeply and ensure that the products we create are suited for them.
- Coordinate with the broader WSJ newsroom as needed to ensure that professional products are well served.
- Informed by audience research and working closely with the Data Strategy Team, develop new data sets and tools that can be integrated into the workflow of professionals.
- Work closely with the commercial side in developing products and measuring performance.
- Interact regularly with customers to understand their challenges and devise plans to serve them.
- Set priorities for use of resources, including work on annual budget planning.
- Manage, motivate and develop a team of editors and reporters producing a range of highly specialized content for business and financial professionals.
- Serve as the chief advocate in the newsroom for professional product and services. Ensure that the broader newsroom is aware of responsibilities and opportunities to serve professional products.
- Work with other units of Dow Jones where content is produced that is useful for our professional products.
- Lead efforts across the organization to enhance current products and develop new ones that serve professionals.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance - ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Provide strong leadership in difficult situations.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Knowledge of markets, finance and professional news
- Track record of exceptional achievement as a reporter or editor
- Several years of experience as a manager, preferably of large groups.
- Ability to work across departments to build consensus, create shared vision.
- Proven track record of creativity, strategic thinking and ability to execute plans.
- Strong communication, presentation skills.
- Extensive experience as a journalist and superb news judgment.
- A strong understanding of the unique content needs of business and financial professionals.
- Willingness to innovate, experiment, be creative with existing and emerging types of content.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines
- Reports into: Editor in Chief
- Direct reports: Global Newswires Chief, Professional Products Editor, Data Strategist, Audience Engagement Editor.
Applications should include a resume and cover letter.
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets