Dow Jones & Co. Editor, Digital Content Strategy in New York, New York
Dow Jones & Co.
Requisition ID 2017-29965
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function News/Editorial
Business Area NEWS/WSJ
Job Area1 News
Job Area2 ..
The Editor for Digital Content Strategy maps the journalistic direction of The Wall Street Journal. This person oversees the Editorial Lab, which experiments with new and future digital storytelling platforms, tools and techniques for our journalists. He or she also works with the CTO on the development and improvement of products, tools and formats and collaborates with the Digital News Editor on the daily implementation of strategic priorities.
- Position the Journal and Dow Jones clearly in the vanguard of digital developments in journalism, by continuously identifying and evaluating global and national trends and determining the role they should play in our newsroom -- or we should play in them. This includes digital storytelling methods, consumer-facing and news-production technologies, and third-party platforms.
- Work closely with the DJ Innovation team and WSJ Product team to set up the Editorial Lab, with infrastructure and journalist/developer personnel for research, testing and experimentation.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for growing our audience on the Mobile and Browser platforms and also Off-Platform, working with the Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, and representatives of the relevant newsroom and corporate teams.
- Create and drive a comprehensive strategy for newsletters and alerts, working closely with the Digital News Editor, the relevant news bureaus and with the Membership and Sales departments.
- Working with the Analytics & Audience and Off-Platform teams and commercial departments, continuously evaluate and, where warranted, create and maintain a content-partnership strategy that takes advantage of opportunities to grow the WSJ audience beyond the standard social-media platforms.
- Develop new storytelling formats as platforms and audience habits evolve.
- Set and monitor clear KPIs and goals for the newsroom, working with the Digital Editor and Analytics & Audience team.
- Communicate strategies and plans and educate stakeholders nside and outside the WSJ newsroom.
- Working with commercial departments, identify and manage relationships with other media and non-media organizations around the globe.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance - ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Deeply customer- and market-driven (internal customer, audience), and familiar with how these priorities affect product-development processes
- Innovative and entrepreneurial thinker and leader
- Newsroom experience preferred.
- Analytical, structured and pragmatic when tackling business challenges
- Extensive understanding of digital media, digital journalism, and related consumer and media technologies
- High-level expertise in project management and strategy-development skills
- Strong skills in concept visualization; strong communication, facilitation and presentation skills
- Experienced in working with and leading executive teams across different organizational areas and disciplines
- Skilled in modern product development skills such as human-centered design/design thinking, scrum, Agile PM, etc.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines
- Reporting to: Editor in Chief
- Direct reports: Newsletter Strategist, Head of Editorial Lab
Major internal working relationships
- Very closely working with Insight/Analytics, Digital News Editor, Product Development, Chief Video/Audio Editor, Chief Visuals Editor, DJ Innovation, Membership, and Sales Teams
Applications should include a resume and cover letter.
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets