University of Alaska Sun Star Student Newspaper Staff - Multiple Positions Available in Fairbanks, Alaska
Sun Star Student Newspaper Staff - Multiple Positions Available
Apply nowJob no:506118
Classification:Student Assistant C
Work type:Student Employee
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Student Services
Categories:Communications/Public Relations/Marketing, Other, Student Affairs/Services
Position Summary:A variety of Student positions available across many interests. Students of Journalism, marketing, business, photography, English, and even Computer Science come work for the Student newspaper, we have a job for you!
The Sun Star is your newspaper, a student-run media outlet that reports on current events and UAF campus life from the student perspective.
There are seven (7) Student Assistant C positions available for the academic year 2017-2018. Details for each position are below:
(1) MANAGING EDITOR:15 hours per week
The Managing Editor of the Sun Star is responsible for overseeing staff and editorial workflow, and handles grammatical and AP style edits for each article submitted to the Sun Star.
The Managing Editor works with the Layout Editor, Photo Editor, Editor-in-Chief, and Staff and freelance reporters to prepare stories for periodic publication. They edit articles as submitted, and offer advice and guidance to freelancers and staff working on stories. The Managing Editor contributes content in the form of columns, editorials, or news articles as necessary.
(2) LAYOUT EDITOR:15 hours per week
The Layout Editor of the Sun Star is responsible for designing the layout of the paper and submitting it by production deadline. The Layout Editor is also responsible for designing in-house advertisements, flyers, and infographics as needed. This position requires strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign CC, and general understanding of design and artistic principles such as color theory, typography, and visual hierarchy.
The Layout Editor works with the Editor-in-Chief, Photo Editor, Advertising Manager, and Managing Editor to insure all content is prepared and submitted by the Sunday deadline. They uphold Sun Star branding guidelines and are responsible for maintaining a consistent, distinctive brand. The Layout Editor contributes content in the form of columns, editorials, or news articles as necessary.
(3) ADVERTISING MANAGER:15 hours per week
The Advertising Manager of the Sun Star is responsible for one duty first and foremost: selling ads. They receive a 10% commission on all external and web-based ad sales. This position is responsible for maintaining relationships with campus organizations and members of the national and local business community inside and outside the state.
The Advertising Manager works with the Web and Layout Editors to make sure ads are run on-schedule and meet the specifications of advertisers. This position updates advertising pricing to match industry rates and works to expand revenue options for the Sun Star. The Advertising Manager will finalize client payments in a timely manner, prior to the Sun Star running the ad. The Advertising Manager will maintain the newspaper’s online and print classified ads.
(4) PHOTO EDITOR:15 hours per week
The Sun Star Photo Editor is tasked with contributing photo content to the stories for the newspaper and website. They are called upon to train staff members and freelancers in using the DSLR cameras house in office, as well as to loan out and keep track of cameras, memory cards, chargers and camera bags.
The Photo Editor is in charge of editing photos to run online and in print using Adobe Systems. They are willing to learn AP style in order to properly edit photo captions. The Photo Editor will also maintain lines of communication with the Editor-in-Chief, Layout Editor, and Managing Editor in order to insure all photo content is prepared for the Sunday deadline. The Photo Editor contributes content in the form of columns, editorials, or news articles as necessary.
(5) WEB EDITOR:15 hours per week
The Web Editor is responsible for posting content to and upkeeping the Sun Star website, as well as any of the associated social media sites. They are expected to implement new web-based systems as necessary and install new office computer systems when applicable. The Web Editor also maintains communication with the Managing Editor in order to maintain an up to date posting schedule for content.
The Web Editor maintains the newspaper’s social media presence, cultivates our following and engages with readers as necessary. They work with the Advertising Manager to update and maintain online advertising. They are responsible for organizing and updating the Sun Star archives.
The Web Editor is responsible for troubleshooting issues with our office technology, and assisting newspaper staff and freelancers with operation of our web and office systems. The Web Editor contributes content in the form of columns, editorials, or news articles as necessary.
(6) DISTRIBUTION MANAGER:5 hours per week
The Sun Star Distribution Manager is tasked with a two-fold assignment: they must distribute the paper to assigned locations in a timely manner and log the amount of papers delivered versus the amount remaining by the time of the next publication.
The Distribution Manager submits periodic logs to the Editor-in-Chief, detailing fluctuations in circulation.
(7) STAFF REPORTER:15 hours per week
Staff reporters at the Sun Star write consistent weekly stories for the newspaper and website, seeking out and reporting on events in a specific area of focus (science, sports, arts and entertainment, etc) with other assignments at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief.
Staff reporters hold themselves to a high standard of accuracy and quality in reporting, with careful citation of sources and quoting of interviews. They are required to record any and all interviews. They are willing to learn the nuances of journalistic writing, and conform to AP and Sun Star style guidelines in their articles. Reporters may be asked to provide assistance to freelance reporters, including edits as dictated by the workflow. They are also willing to take photos as specific assignments require.
Staff reporters are expected to write at least one in-depth investigative and/or feature piece per semester, of the reporter’s choosing and with approval of the editor.
These positions do not work over the summer, beginning on or after August 20th, 2017.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume and two professional/academic references.
Please specify in your cover letter which position you would like to be considered for.
Applicant must be enrolled as a UAF student taking a minimum of 6 credits per semester with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or a newly enrolled student.
Pursuant to Board of Regents' Policy 04.01.055.B, temporary, extended temporary, adjunct, student, casual labor, regular new hire probationary employees and those positions designated by the president as officers and senior administrators of the university are employed at-will.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks that all employees are required to attend training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period of time to remain employed at UAF. The policy can be located at: http://www.uaf.edu/chancellor/policy/04.07.010/
UAF Campus is a tobacco free campus. For more information, please go to: http://www.uaf.edu/tobaccofreecampus/
Advertised:02 Jun 2017Alaskan Daylight Time
MULTIPLE POSITIONS AVAILABLE (Duties listed by position)
(1) MANAGING EDITOR: Oversees staff and editorial workflow, edits all written submissions in preparation for publication, offers guidance to freelancers and staff, contributes written content as needed.
(2) LAYOUT EDITOR: Designs the layout of the paper, in-house advertisements, flyers and graphics as needed.
(3) ADVERTISING MANAGER: Sells and maintains all the newspaper’s online and print ads, maintains relationships with campus organizations and members of the national and local business community, coordinates all ad contracts and related billing.
(4) PHOTO EDITOR: Contributes photo content for the newspaper and website, trains staff and freelancers to use DSLR cameras, edits all photos submitted for print and web, writes photo captions, manages inventory and rental of Sun Star cameras, memory cards, chargers and camera bags, contributes written content as needed.
(5) WEB EDITOR: Posts content and updates to the Sun Star website, maintains the newspaper’s social media presence, implements new web-based systems as necessary, manages office computer systems and technology trouble shooting, works with the Advertising Manager to update and maintain online advertising, updates the archives, contributes written content as needed.
(6) DISTRIBUTION MANAGER: Distributes the printed paper to assigned locations, logs related circulation data and reports back to the Editor-in-Chief.
(7) STAFF REPORTER: Writes consistent weekly content for the newspaper and website, seeking out and reporting on events in a specific area of focus (science, sports, arts and entertainment, etc) with other assignments at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief.Essential