COCC Broadside Copy Editor (Part Time, Temporary Hourly, Non-Benefited) in Bend, Oregon
Posting Number: 06001224
Position Title: Broadside Copy Editor (Part Time, Temporary Hourly, Non-Benefited)
Posting Date: 09/22/2017
Open Until Filled (notes):
Length of Position: Temporary, as Needed Basis
Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type: Other
FTE: < .50 FTE
Salary Level: Irregular Wage Salary Schedule
Starting Minimum Pay: Paid Stipend
Starting Maximum Pay: Paid Stipend
Hours per Week: 2 hours per week
Work Schedule: Work Schedule may Vary
Days of the Week: Days of the Week may Vary
The copy editor makes sure stories have been edited according to Broadside style and contain no grammatical, Associated Press style or content errors. They are final eyes on stories to make sure the other editors haven’t missed anything.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a 12-month non-exempt hourly, non-benefited, on-call position. • Requires flexible work schedule, which may include evenings and/or weekends as needed for campus events. • May require provision of official transcripts upon hire. • Upon hire, must pass criminal history check; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
• Copy editors must have a good understanding of reporting and editing standards and must be well versed in Associated Press style.
• Copy editors will check for factual errors, such as name misspellings, incorrect titles and erroneous facts. Copy editors will also check for mathematical errors and errors in graphics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Ability to type. • Pleasant and professional phone manners • Ability of meet deadlines and work in fast-paced, news environment. • Ability to work cooperatively with and contribute to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Must be able to work in a standard office environment. Working hours are regular per the established work schedule. Work is performed in an ordinary office, mostly sitting with extended standing and some lifting under ten pounds for 15 percent of the time. Computer screen is used more than 50 percent of the time. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation
• Must pass a criminal background check
• Journalism, English, Fine Arts and/or communications major
Special Instructions to Applicants:
THIS RECRUITMENT IS HIRING FOR AN ON-CALL TEMPORARY HOURLY NON-BENEFITED POSITION, TO ASSIST WITH SCHEDULING VACANCIES AND REPLACEMENT NEEDS.
NOTE: You may be required to upload required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact Human Resources at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes
Is a Credit History Check Required? No
Open Until Filled Yes