Emory University Senior Editor (Development Communications) in Atlanta, Georgia
Job Requisition ID:
032000:DAR: Development Programs
Please include a cover letter and three writing samples with your application.
Development Communications creates communication solutions that inspire investment in Emory. We build relationships based on mutual trust and expertise, strategizing with front-line fundraisers to engage donors through creative products that inspire giving. Collaboration, among team members and across the division of Development and Alumni Relations, is essential to all we do. Development Communications is a fast-paced, deadline-driven department composed of creative professionals that work well with each other.
The senior editor will:
• Thrive in a collaborative setting and also produce independently.
• Know the ins and outs, dos and don’ts of smart project management, scheduling timelines for projects, keeping them on track, communicating effectively with designers and internal partners, and providing frequent status updates.
• Partner with Emory Law, James T. Laney School of Graduate Studies, Goizueta Business Scjool, Candler School of Theology, and Center for Ethics to create strong messaging and develop compelling content for a variety of fundraising communications, including proposals, case statements, brochures, fact sheets, emails, stewardship reports, and other collateral.
• Understand and implement best practices for fundraising writing.
• Write persuasively with the ability to shift tone and style given the medium and audience.
• Think in strategic and creative ways, pitching new ideas to partners when appropriate.
• Learn partners’ fundraising priorities and propose communications products to achieve their goals.
• With a firm grasp on grammar and style, copy edit other senior editors as needed.
• Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, from complex, design-intensive collateral to text-only proposals and letters.
• Balance creative vision with priorities of various stakeholders to deliver effective products to partners on time.
FORMAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Assists in the strategic planning and implementation of publications, periodicals, and media relations materials. Plans, writes, edits and produces publications, periodicals and media relations materials. May hire and supervise freelance writers, designers, photographers, and consultants. Performs related responsibilities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or related field and 3 years experience in printing, editing, publishing or related area, OR equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
DATE CREATED/MODIFIED/REVIEWED: 06/07/06 AMM
Ofc of Dev & Alumni Relations
Senior Editor (Development Communications)
This position involves::
Minimum Hourly Rate $:
Midpoint Hourly Rate $:
Minimum Annual Rate $:
Midpoint Annual Rate $:
Additional Job Details:
The senior editor, along with four other senior editors, reports to the Director of Communications Strategy and will:
• Assist in the strategic planning, creative development, and timely production of communication materials to drive major gifts to Emory.
• Become proficient using Wrike, the department’s project management system, as well as Adobe InCopy and Acrobat Pro.
• Build productive relationships with partners through interpersonal skills, communications and fundraising expertise, and responsiveness.
• Offer solutions that improve processes, workflow, efficiency, and effectiveness of the department.